With the exception of a few undecided seats, the midterm elections are over. This is not the time to rest on our laurels; luxuriating in a job well done. This is the time to remain vigilant, (please note I did not say vigilante.) The focus has to be on those newly elected; and those who remained and have not been true to their constituents.
Many of us have worked on campaigns; others have contributed hard earned money to those running for office, still others have written to elected officials, bringing pressure to bear on maintaining the Constitution. The results have been formidable, an example of the American people at their best.
The hard work is just beginning, not only in our respective states, but across this great Land. We need to remain constantly vigilant, our thoughts and idea’s need to be made clear to those who now work for us. For starters, I would recommend the following.
1. All bills must be read on the floors of Congress and posted on the Internet; including any changes. If the member of Congress is not present for the reading, then they do not get to vote. The bills will be brief due to the fact that members of congress do not want to sit around and listen.
2. All members of congress that draw a salary will have the salary increase capped at the COL as with Social Security recipients. The Social security cap was activated by Congress, so there should not be problem including Congress and all administration employees under the same guidelines.
3. The names will be made available of all bureaucrats that write bills, along with their affiliations and how much they were paid for the project. So often these are people we would never vote for regardless of which side of the aisle we support, they are writing bills unread by our Representatives, bills that we are forced to live with.
4. Benefits, such as, lunches, health clubs, auto services and anything that is consider a freebie at the taxpayer expense; will be taxed as ordinary income to those receiving them. These Amounts may seem trivial, and only a drop in the bucket, but the drip, drip, drip, soon fills the bucket.
5. Taxes, Congress will be forced to complete their own taxes (a work day evening activity) no outside help. All tax submission will be audited by an independent CPA / IRS. When completed, members of Congress should be made to declare their mistakes and the percentage of tax they pay (not the amount, I could care less) Just the percentage.
The list goes on and on, if we could get at least 5 to 10 things done each year, along with tackling the big stuff, such as the Health care fiasco, Cap and Trade debacle, Global Warming rip offs, Entitlements. We would at least feel as if we were able to make a dent in this out of control Congress who continue to behave like juveniles. It depends on us, call and write your Representatives and Senators, check the bills they are trying to foist off on the taxpayer, demand that they listen to your voice, research how other states are voting, continue to be pro active, and at all times remain VIGILANT.
Thanks to our Military who remain vigilant, as they serve and protect, and to their families. May God Bless You?
Entry filed under: administrative, American Exceptionalism, Deception, Editorial, Election, Health, Legislation, misc, Political, Political people. Tags: campaigns, Cap and Trade, Congress, Health, Social security.